Immerse yourself in the world of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, celebrate the beautiful season, paint while listening to trapbops and stargazing. So much is happening!
WASHINGTON — August flies by — there are only two weekends left to enjoy before those classic summer months come to an end and we head straight into fall. What’s on your summer bucket list? Here are a few more items for inspiration before the cider and pumpkin spice season kicks off.
Every week, WUSA9 gives you the details on at least nine local activities to check out in your spare time. We’ll give you three ideas (and sometimes one or two bonus items) each week, each in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Do you have any more events that you think your neighbors should know about? Email the time, place and description to [email protected].
Mexican Geniuses: An Immersive Experience from Frida and Diego
- returning; Friday 19 August to Sunday 20 August and more on weekdays
- 10am to 7pm or 8pm depending on the day
- 1235 West Street Northeast, Washington, DC 20018
- Admission: Adult tickets are available for $36 and children (ages 2 – 12) for $19.90. children under 2 are free. Discounts and family passes are available.
A new exhibit dedicated to immersing the public in the work of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera makes its grand debut in DC Friday, August 19.
“Mexican Geniuses: A Frida and Diego Immersive Experience”, which came to life in London earlier this year, will “demonstrate the passion, beauty and emotional relationship that have had a profound impact on the art world and beyond”, according to organizers. Watch this 360º digital art exhibit all summer long and beyond.
RELATED: ‘A Time Traveling Journey’ | Immersive King Tut Exhibition Debuts at National Geographic Museum
- Saturday 20 Aug. from 6.30 pm to 10 pm
- Smithsonian National Museum of African Art, 950 Independence Avenue Southwest, Washington, DC 20560; Enid A. Haupt Garden
- Open access
All visitors are invited to come and enjoy the vibrant beats of the African diaspora and dance the night away, the organizers said, sharing that DJ TAZZ & Afropolitan DJ KWEKS will be playing contemporary African hits in the garden.
Sounds of Africa is an ongoing concert series that celebrates the music of the African diaspora. In case of bad weather, the concert will be moved to the Museum of African Art.
- Saturday Aug 20 and Sunday Aug 21
- Walter E Washington Convention Center, 801 Mt Vernon Pl NW, Washington, DC 20001
- Admission: Tickets start at $30
“The Walter E Washington Convention Center will be a playground for all things sneaker and streetwear!” reads the event description. “Come by and enjoy 2 days filled with over 400 sellers buying, selling and bartering, along with the opportunity to have your shoes authenticated by eBay’s Authenticity Guaranteed sneaker experts!”
Georgetown Foodie Tour and Neighborhood Walk
- Sunday 21 Aug. at 13.00 o’clock
- Four Seasons Hotel, 2800 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, 20007
- Admission: $79, ages 14+
Hang out in Georgetown on a Sunday and taste your way through the neighborhood known for attracting foodies from far and wide. “On this tour, you’ll eat your way through this well-known and prestigious neighborhood. You’ll learn about Georgetown’s early iconic years while walking off the beaten track to sample several local eateries!” the organizers said.
Plus… fancy eating out across the district this week? Catch the final days of DC Summer Restaurant Week!
Asia Collective Night Market
- Saturday, August 20 from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Howard County Fairgrounds, 2210 Fairgrounds Rd, West Friendship, MD, 21794
- Admission: $10, kids under 10 free
Taste all the Asian food your heart desires at this unique and festive event in Howard County. The organizers call it the ultimate Asian food festival and the biggest on the east coast!
“We’ve rounded up 40 of DMV’s most iconic Asian restaurants. Come and try them all!”
MD’s Hottest Trap Paint & Sip
- Saturday, Aug. 20, 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM
- 8309 Old Branch Ave, Clinton, Maryland
- Admission: $35
Some might imagine calm music accompanying their brush as they create art on a canvas – while others need a little more hype to get those creative juices going. The vibes kick up a notch at this unique paint and sip session! If trap and hip-hop are your thing (have you been listening to Meg Thee Stallion’s new album all weekend?), grab some friends and get ready for a lit-up Saturday.
“We do it for the culture!” say the organizers. “All ticket purchases include admission, canvas painting supplies and 1 free glass of wine! Come have a sip of paint and party with your favorite hip/hop and trap music hits.”
- Friday, August 19 at 6 p.m. and Saturday, Aug. 20 at 1 p.m.
- LiveYoung Candle Co 916 N East Street Frederick, MD 21701
- Admission: $35 + extra for the candle vat of your choice ranging from $4 to $30
Join two experts as they guide visitors through the candle making process this weekend. Pick a favorite scent, grab a wick, and you’re on your way with this two-hour session.
“Our goal is to make this event both educational and entertaining for all participants. Feel free to bring drinks and snacks to enjoy.”
- Saturday 19 Aug. to Sunday 21 Aug.
- Thomas Jefferson Community Center, 3501 Second Street South, Arlington, VA 22204
- Admission: free, ride and food sold separately.
- $1.25 per ticket
- $25 for 24 tickets
- $60 for 72 tickets
- Each ride costs 3-6 tickets
If you want a fun weekend, look no further than the Arlington County Fair. In addition to your funnel cakes and Ferris wheels, this local fair features a host of unique special events, including a pie-eating contest, goat yoga, live entertainment, interactive games, and more!
“The Arlington County Fair is one of the largest free events on the East Coast and has provided quality entertainment for over 40 years,” the website reads. “In recent years, the number of visitors has risen to more than 84,000 as people come from Arlington, Northern Virginia and the DC Metro region to enjoy competitive exhibits, mid-rides and games, entertainment, vendors and more.”
Disco on wheels at Mosaic Skateland
- Returning daily until the end of September; Saturday 19 Aug. to Sunday 21 Aug.
- Friday, 4 p.m. to 11:15 p.m.; Saturday, 11am to 11:15pm; Sunday, 9:45 am to 8:45 pm
- Merrifield Town Center Dr (between Barnes & Noble and Urbano). Skateland is one block down District Ave from Strawberry Park.
- Admission: Adult (includes skate rental) – $17, Child (includes skate rental) – $15
“Mosiac Skateland invites you to get up, boogie and celebrate a summer full of love,” reads the event description. “Mosaic Skateland welcomes four-wheelers and beginners alike for a spin on the ice rink for the ultimate disco revival.”
Additionally, guests are allowed to bring their own skates to show off their style while they skate.
2022 Night Sky Festival
Saturday 19 Aug. to Sunday 21 Aug.
Shenandoah Virginia National Park; exact locations vary per event, view details here.
Stargazers are welcome to join the National Park Service for their annual Night Sky Festival, which will feature everything from special events and presentations to guest speakers and telescopes!
Bands and Brews Summer Pub Crawl
- Saturday, August 20, 12.30 pm to 6 pm
- Northside10 (10 E. Glebe Road) or Lena’s Wood-Fired Pizza & Tap (401 E. Braddock Road). Participants can crawl to other restaurants from 13:00
- Admission: Advance tickets are $15 ($20 at the door), and include cocktail, beer and food specials at each of the participating restaurants, live music at each location, trolley transport, 50/50 raffles, a photo booth, and many more giveaways .
Chill out this weekend in Alexandria with a cold beer in hand and some sweet summer tunes as you crawl through the city! At least 16 restaurants participate.
This bands and brew event will feature live music at open-air restaurants along the avenue, and organizers say a portion of the proceeds will go to a local nonprofit, Senior Services of Alexandria (SSA), an organization that aims to promote independence and promote self-sufficiency and self-sufficiency. to enable seniors in the city of Alexandria to age with dignity.
WUSA9 is now on Roku and Amazon Fire TVs. Download the apps today for live news broadcasts and video on demand.
Download the WUSA9 app to have the latest news, weather and important stories at your fingertips.
Sign up for the Get Up DC newsletter: Your forecast. Your commute. Your news.
Sign up for the Capitol Breach email newsletter, featuring the latest news and an overview of the investigation into the Capitol riots on January 6, 2021.