ASUS is updating its nearly two-year-old gaming phone to Android 12. The ASUS ROG Phone 3, which launched in July 2020, is now receiving an Android 12 beta. As the owners of the device recall, this was not at all unexpected. The Taiwanese OEM promised to deliver the update to the phone in the second quarter of this year. Now, as the first step towards the stable build, ASUS has started seeding the first Android 12 beta for the ROG Phone 3.
The version number of the new build is 31.020.0210.160which is quite a steep jump from the latest stable Android 11 based firmware (18.0410.2203.201† The beta update brings all the new features included in the stable Android 12 codebase, along with minor improvements to ASUS’ own ZenUI skin. For example, the ASUS Safeguard module has been removed in favor of Android’s emergency SOS option. In addition, several ASUS apps for inbox are now updated with new features.
Screenshot courtesy: 4PDA user EnterPC
The full update changelog is as follows:
- System upgraded to Android 12
- Redesigned Mobile Manager, Contacts, Phone, File Manager, Calculator, Clock, Gallery, Weather, Sound Recorder, Settings, Data Transfer, Local Backup, Setup Wizard, System Update Apps
- Updated the console design in Armory Crate
- Custom Quick Settings panel, notification tray and volume panel to Android 12 design
- Added privacy dashboard features, camera and microphone indicators, clipboard access, approximate location access, and microphone access
- ASUS Safeguard replaced with Android 12 Emergency SOS
- Introducing a new widget page design in Launcher. Repositioned the screenshot option and removed the hotseat app icons on the overview page.
- Removed Quick Settings layout option from Display Settings
- ASUS Phone has removed support for SIP calls because Android 12 does not support SIP calls natively
- Some third-party apps are not yet compatible with Android 12
Although not mentioned in the changelog, the Beta 1 build ships with the latest May 2022 security patches.
ASUS ROG Phone 3 XDA Forums
Download Android 12 Beta 1 for ROG Phone 3
You can sideload the Android 12 beta on your ROG Phone 3 using the incremental OTA zip below. Rename the file as . after downloading
UL-ASUS_I003_1-ASUS-31.0210.0210.160-1.1.5-user.zip and place it in the root of the internal storage. Then reboot the device and check the OTA notification to perform the update.
- ASUS ROG Phone 3
- Android 12 beta 1 (31.0210.0210.160)
Installing beta software can be risky, so make sure to back up your data before flashing the build. It’s unclear when the stable update will arrive, but since the first beta is out now, hopefully we won’t have to wait too long.