Boy (14) stabbed after arguing with gang on bus

A teenager has been stabbed in the street after arguing with a gang on a bus.

Merseyside police rushed to Argyle Street in Liverpool city center around 7:10pm on Wednesday 25 May following reports of a stabbing. Once on the scene, officers found a 14-year-old boy who had been stabbed after arguing with a group of boys on the number 80 bus.

They all got off the bus on Hanover Street and went their separate ways, but not long after the victim and his friends were approached by the gang, one of whom had a knife. The victim was stabbed in the armpit and the assailants fled.

READ MORE: Live Updates As Police Cut City Center Street With ‘Blood On The Ground’

The 14-year-old boy did not need to be hospitalized. Two 15-year-olds and a 17-year-old from Anfield, Litherland and Crosby were found and arrested by officers. A 15-year-old from Anfield was arrested on suspicion of Section 47 assault and the other two boys were arrested on suspicion of arguing.

A knife believed to have been used in the attack was also found.

Detective Inspector Tony Roberts said: “We are conducting an extensive investigation after a teenager was stabbed tonight in Liverpool city center and we would like to speak to anyone who witnessed the attack, or witnessed an altercation between two groups of teenagers on the Bus 80 enters the city shortly before 7 p.m.

“We will take action based on any information reported to us about knife crime and I would like to call on anyone with information about knife crime in Merseyside, or this incident in particular, to get in touch with us. We are committed to work with our partners to stop young people from carrying knives by educating them about the dangers, as well as bringing those involved in knife crime to justice and protecting our communities.

“It is vital that we work with our partners to make very clear the dangers and long-term consequences of carrying or using a knife. We all have a responsibility – police, educational institutions, youth groups and parents and guardians of young people – to ensure that young people grow up knowing that the decision to pick up a knife will only cause those around them suffering and is likely to cause them to lose their freedom, or be seriously injured or killed .”

About seven police patrol cars, an ambulance and a forensic police van were seen around Campbell Square. Forensic officers working on the scene appeared to concentrate their efforts around a stone bench, where an eyewitness said they saw blood on the ground.

An employee of a nearby restaurant said people were eating and drinking in the outdoor seating area when the fight between the groups broke out. Another person who worked in the area and asked not to be named said there was a “huge group” of children on the street.

She said: “I don’t know how many there were, but it was a huge group of teenagers fighting each other. [Campbell Square]†

Other people who lived in the nearby flats on Argyle Street said they heard screams around the time of the incident.

If you have any information regarding this incident, please DM our social media desk on Twitter @MerPolCC or Facebook ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre’ quoting Incident Reference 0903 dated 25 May.

You can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or via their online form at:

Leave a Comment