The city council on Friday restored a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of an unidentified assailant who shot a Los Angeles Department of Water and Power electrical worker outside his home.
Friday’s action came on the two-year anniversary of the death of Akeem “AJ” Coburn, who was standing in his driveway near South Vermont Avenue and 135th Street in the Harbor Gateway neighborhood on July 29, 2020, when a person approached and shot him, Councilman Joe Buscaino’s office said. The suspect would have arrived in a dark-colored sedan.
A gentle giant, a girl father, AJ Coburn’s family says they will remember him, but in their memories lies a pain they can’t shake. John Cádiz Klemack reports to NBC4 News on April 16, 2021 at 6 p.m.
“Akeem was a gentle giant and was loved by everyone he met,” said Brandie Harris, Coburn’s fiancé. “He was a son, father, husband-to-be and friend. His life mattered and he is truly missed by all his family and friends.”
Buscaino said in a statement Friday that Coburn was “part of our city family and his death leaves a hole that can never be filled”.
“If you have any information, we beg you to come forward, even anonymously, to help us solve this heinous and tragic crime,” Buscaino added. “Two years later, I have not lost hope that we can find justice for AJ and his family.”
The council first reinstated the $50,000 reward in August last year.
Those with information about the case are urged to contact the South Bureau homicide investigators at 323-786-5111, or during weekends and after-hours, 1-877-LAPD-24-7.