Civil servant who lost his job to Barilaro to provide public evidence

West then got a verbal offer for the New York-based role, before receiving a “comment” the following month that the offer may not be safe. The offer was formally withdrawn on October 1.

NSW Labor treasury spokesman Daniel Mookhey disputed the prime minister’s statement to parliament last month.

“It is our intention to believe that he was not aware that anyone had been selected for the job, when it is clear that he was given a written briefing and that he was given a report on all the shortlisted candidates,” he said.

A spokesman for the prime minister said Amy Brown, secretary of the Department of Enterprise, Investment and Trade, advised that there was no suitable candidate in the first round of recruitment.

West will be the second witness to face the House of Lords investigation after Brown appeared last week, proving she was ordered by the government to “unwind” West’s recruiting over a policy change.

Brown said she was the “decider” and called West to tell her the offer would be withdrawn, adding that the candidate was “extremely upset, understandably”.

After that, Brown said she believed there was no suitable candidate and began a second round of recruitment, ultimately leading to Barilaro’s nomination.

Investment NSW chief executive Amy Brown appeared at the parliamentary inquiry last week.Credit:Janie Barrett

Other documents unveiled under the parliamentary order have exposed the handling of West’s first nomination to the role, including that she exceeded criteria and senior bureaucrats feared “ministers are tampering with due process” before offering her oral offer. completed.

Another set of commissioned documents is due to be delivered on Wednesday, detailing the second recruitment process that led to Barilaro’s appointment. It will likely include his interview panel report, briefing notes to ministers and the contract for the position, which he was due to start on July 12.

The bundle may also include a 45-page report West wrote to Michael Coutts-Trotter, the state’s highest-ranking official, asking for a meeting and expressing concerns over the handling of the withdrawn job offer revealed by the Herald last week.

Investment NSW’s general counsel Chris Carr is expected to be called as the next witness to appear at a later date. Carr sought urgent advice last year on changing the recruitment of trade commissioners from public service to ministerial appointments, following a cabinet meeting.

Leave a Comment