Ottawa Public Health reports zero new COVID-19 deaths over the long weekend, but the amount of virus in the community remains high.
Tuesday’s update to OPH’s COVID-19 dashboard included 289 new lab-confirmed cases and a test positivity rate of over 21 percent. Hospital admissions appear to be declining.
The health unit reports that 27 Ottawa residents are hospitalized due to an active COVID-19 infection, up from 41 a week ago. The hospitalization numbers in this latest wave appear to have peaked at 55 cases by July 18, according to the latest data.
Three residents are in intensive care.
OPH hospitalization numbers represent only Ottawa residents hospitalized due to an active case of COVID-19. Local hospitals report higher numbers, including patients admitted for reasons other than COVID-19 who tested positive and patients not from Ottawa.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of COVID-19 patients in each hospital:
- Ottawa Hospital: 68 patients (against 72 patients on Friday)
- Queensway Carleton Hospital: 34 patients (against 44 patients on Friday)
- Montfort Hospital: 28 patients (from 27 patients on Friday)
- CHEO: Three patients (unchanged since Friday; next update Aug. 8)
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020, there have been 78,428 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa, including 844 deaths.
Four new outbreaks have been announced, but the total number of outbreaks has fallen since Friday.
The wastewater signal has decreased since a peak on July 10. It bottomed out on July 24 and rose again. The latest data shows an apparent plateau.
OTTAWA’S KEY COVID-19 STATISTICS
- COVID-19 cases per 100,000 (July 25-31): 70.2 (vs 93.5)
- Seven-day average of Ottawa community positivity, including long-term care: 21.45 percent
- Known active cases: 1,174 (-169)
COVID-19 VACCINES IN OTTAWA
Updated Aug 2
- Residents of Ottawa with 1 dose (5+): 916,738
- Ottawa residents with 2 doses (5+): 884,476
- Residents of Ottawa with 3 doses (12+): 586,789
- Share of population aged five years and older with at least one dose: 92 percent
- Share of population aged five years and older fully vaccinated: 89 percent
- Share of population aged 12 years and older with at least three doses: 64 percent
*Statistics for Ottawa residents at one or more doses include anyone with an Ottawa zip code who has been vaccinated anywhere in Ontario.
AROUND THE REGION
- Eastern Ontario Health Unit: 15 in hospital, 2 in ICU
- Hastings Prince Edward Public Health: 11 in hospital, 1 in ICU
- Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington Public Health: 11 in hospital, 2 in ICU (as of July 26)
- Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit: 13 in hospital, 1 in ICU (as of July 29)
- Renfrew County and District Health Unit: 6 in hospital, 0 in ICU
- Outaouais (Gatineau and Western Quebec): 80 in hospital, 1 in ICU
Ottawa Public Health is currently reporting active outbreaks in the following locations (as of Friday, July 29):
- 13 long-term care facilities
- 27 retirement homes
- 20 hospital units
- 12 other gathering institutions (group homes, assisted independent living, etc.)
OPH no longer reports outbreaks in schools and childcare facilities, nor outbreaks in communities, such as those associated with local businesses, religious institutions, or sports and recreational activities.
A full list of locations with active outbreaks is available on OPH’s COVID-19 dashboard.