- To crop a video on your Android, open it in the Google Photos app.
- You can crop the video in a free form or choose from a list of preset crop ratios.
Back in the day, you needed special tools or third-party apps to crop a video. But now you can do it right from your phone’s default photos app.
Here’s how to crop any video on an Android.
Crop a video on Android
The best way to crop videos on an Android phone or tablet is to use the Google Photos app. Chances are this is the default photos app on your device, but if not, you can download it for free from the Play Store.
1. Open the Photos app and find your video. Make sure the video is saved to your device if you haven’t already.
2. Open the video and tap edit at the bottom of the screen, below the progress bar.
3. Tap cropagain at the bottom of the screen.
4. You now have a few options:
- dragging the white circles in the corners of your video to freely crop the video as you want.
- Tap the square icon with two arrows in it to quickly crop the video with a preset ratio.
- Tap the icon that looks like a flat square with no sides to crop the video into a non-rectangular shape, such as a triangle or trapezoid. The final product will still be a rectangle, but the video will stretch itself to include only what you saved in the crop.
If you ever want to start over, tap Reset bottom right.
5. When you’re done, tap Save copy in the bottom right corner.
Your trimmed video will be saved as a new file in the Photos app, separate from the original.