The North Shore split into three separate municipalities in the early 20th century
This 1907 photo by Elliott & Baglow shows the joint celebration of Dominion Day (Canada Day) and the founding of the city of North Vancouver in Lower Lonsdale. Earlier that year, on May 13, the city of North Vancouver — renamed “the Ambitious City” by the Express newspaper — was incorporated as a separate municipality.
When the District of North Vancouver was established in 1891, the district encompassed the north side of Burrard Inlet from Horseshoe Bay in the west to Indian Arm in the east, excluding Moodyville.
In 1907, the City of North Vancouver was established as a separate municipality encompassing the central core of the district. In 1912, West Vancouver was officially established in the area west of the Capilano River.
Visit the MONOVA website to learn more about the history of the North Shore and to plan your visit to MONOVA: Museum of North Vancouver, now open at 115 West Esplanade in The Shipyards.
Currently, MONOVA: Archives of North Vancouver, at 3203 Institute Road in Lynn Valley, is open by appointment only. Contact: [email protected]
Navigate culture on the North Shore using the North Shore Culture Compass.